"

Dogs and Chocolate

Posted by Annette 10/04/2017 0 Comment(s)

Trick or Treat

Trick or treating is just around the corner and whether you take the little goblins out to collect their treats or are at home dishing them out; keep an eye on your dog.  Dogs have a sweet tooth and will get into your chocolate if left unsupervised.  Heck, sometimes treats even fall out of bags along your trick or treating route and if your dog is along for the fun, he may pick them up without you noticing. 

Most of us know that chocolate is bad for dogs; but we want to share the “why” behind it in our October blog posts.

Theobromine (more on this stuff in the next post) and caffeine in chocolate can increase the heart rate and stimulate a dog’s nervous system.  Once ingested, it could take 6-12 hours for symptoms to appear and they can last up to 72 hours in more severe cases.  Some things to look for would be vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness or pacing, increased urination, tremors or shaking, abnormal or elevated heart rate, seizures, collapse and even death.  If your dog ingests chocolate, contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-213-6680 right away to be advised on the best course of action. 

Until then, feast your eyes on some goodies that ARE good for dogs.  

Leave a Comment